Thursday, June 9, 2011

To My Surprise....

I am a married mother of two, who works for the university and is now taking classes as well.  With that in mind, I am also pretty young, or on the younger side of elderly.  (my nephew used to tell my mother this all the time when he was younger, so its been a family joke for a while)  I consider myself pretty involved and use the internet on a frequent basis.  I have never taken a web course before, so using Blackboard was all new to me.  However, blackboard was not my biggest issue.  I have to honestly say that for the life of me I have never blogged before!  I didn't even know what a blog was!

Here I was, younger than older, with no clue what it meant to "blog".  I found myself sitting in the position of my parents.  Back when I had a brand new "CD" player and they were looking at me all crazy, wondering what on earth a "CD" player was.  For if it was not an 8-track or a record player, they had never played music on it before.  I found myself looking back to my high school years when I would say things like, please dont ever let me be like that when I get older, or please dont let me embarrass my children like that.  Its truly funny how the world constantly swings full circle. 

For before I was the not so cool parent, my parents were the not so cool parents.  What I sometimes forgot is that before my parents had me, their parents were the "not so cool" parents. 

Yup, so with blogging, I found myself in that "lost" state of mind and I must say that although I completely understand it now.  I am also admitting to myself that, I am like my parents :)

2 comments:

  1. I Ngray. First of all let me say that I think it's amazing the fact that you're doing so much :).
    Sometimes I think about what you just wrotte. The other day I was teaching my mother on how to Google. I've taught her this about a gazillion times and she still don't get it. She only has her fourth grade and technology was never her thing. Nor is it mine. She's might not be super fast with the Web but she's everything and MORE I could've asked for a mother. It makes me think that if and when I have children, I'll probably come accross as dumb when it comes to whatever innovation is on at that time but as long as I'm as great and caring to them as my mum is to me, I think I should be alright. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I first felt old. It wasn't the time I got up out of chair at a movie theater and made a groaning noise, I assured myself the chair was just uncomfortable. It wasn't when I drove past a bunch of teenagers in a parking lot and parked away from them because I didn't want my car involved in their teenage shenanigans. It was when I realized I no longer related to the kids on the real world. I used to always watch that show and look forward to the fun times my mid twenties would bring. Now that I'm mid twenties (ok late twenties) I realize my life is nothing like that and thank god for that. Now I watch the real housewives shows and think "I can't wait until I'm forty and my life is like that." Aw, replacement as a form a therapy.

    ReplyDelete