Monday, May 23, 2011

What Women Want......

My husband and I always have this reoccuring discussion about how the media portrays relationships on televison.  In particular, his station of choice is none other than the Lifetime Network.  He believes that the network in particular creates a facade that men are supposed to live up to.  He also thinks the women are crazy and most of the actors, just plain can not act.  I completely understand where he is coming from but, do believe that people depicted in the movies on Lifetime do exist to an extent. 

We always laugh and joke because there is always some sappy love story, or affair gone bad, or woman crying over the love that got away.  The women on these shows are usually a bit dramatic and the men are generally over emotional and affectionate.  Yet, for some reason, the movies draw people in.  I often wonder myself why I enjoy watching them but, thats just it, in all actuallity I do like them!  Now to my husband, forcing him to watch lifetime is like making him watch paint dry, or asking him to commit media suicide.  He actually makes comments like "oh no, not again", or "Zzzzzzzz" (this is him snoring). 

The drama that is displayed in these movies just sucks me right in.  I know most of the story lines are based on fiction, with the exception of the few that are based on true stories, but yet I am still there front and center ever Thursday night to catch the newly released drama.  I am also the first to sit down after putting the babies to bed to catch the "Pick Your Flick" Friday movies.  What is it that draws us to television stations like this, even when we know going into it that it is possibly the furthest thing from reality?  Could it be our inquisitive nature?  Our want for the impossible to become reality?  Our need to satisfy the urge for whatever may be lacking in our current situations?  What is it that makes us sit in front of a televison faithfully, once a week, always on the same day, for an hour, maybe two, maybe more, and take in the "fake" stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment